Monday, June 9, 2014

A Little Crochet In My Life

I do have a couple of crochet projects going on. I have three ladies expecting this year (1 in August. 2 in November) and wanted to hand make their baby gifts. I figured I'd try my hand at Tunisian/Afghan crochet to achieve this. I love that it takes elements from knitting and crochet, making the fabric not as open as it would have if I had made this with the other crochet. I figured why not learn as I go and YouTube the stuff out of the different stitches. Brilliance knows no bounds in my mind. *coughs* Add 40 hour a week job, children and your normal household fun...well, you know these baby blankets will be a real labor of love.

Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Light Blue, Medium Thyme, and Coffee.

My current project is for a baby boy. I thought a nice olive green, ivory, brown, and light blue would be a good color palette for this blanket. It's a bit different with some simplicity,  but I want the baby to be able to grow with it. I making crochet stripes on one side, then a light blue fabric backing with a satin brown border on both sides. I haven't decided whether keep the backing simple with just light blue fabric or make it fun with a pattern with similar colors or a light blue background. Decisions, decisions...

Light Blue-9 1/2 inches. Green-9 inches. Ivory-4 inches. Brown-1 inch. Brown Border-2 inches. Total-42 inches. 




Loops. Loops everywhere.











I had your regular issues when it comes with any type of crochet. That foundation chain being a total pain in the behind. Throw the loops in and the real fun begins. I did miss some stitches on the forward pass and then pulled the yarn through 3 loops instead of 2 on the return. I tried to fix these as best as I can. It's not perfect, but these little mistakes totally adds to the charm. Hey, at least they'll be able to tell it's handmade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment