Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Fools Rush In

And here I am, making some Puerto Rican food no one likes in the hopes that it comes close to what my <em>mami </em>makes. What's on tonight's Family Doesn't Like menu? <em>Arroz con habichuelas y bistec</em>. Where is the man I love? Working very hard to provide for his family.

It was a hot and humid summer day in Atlanta. My classes started that Wednesday and I was really excited to begin this new phase in my life. The sounds of change sliding down the vending machine, chairs banging against the tables, murmured conversations, and the beeping of that damn microwave filled the walls of the eating area. The smell of microwavable popcorn, cheese fries, and chicken fingers lingered in the air like <em>eau de teenage male parfum</em> in the boys locker room.

I was the fresh meat and I sat alone at the rounded table. Happily keeping to myself by writing letters to my friends back home. I guess I just have that "I'll cut you" face. No one came near me, until someone did. Some brave soul dared to interrupt the flow of my words to paper. He was well dressed in light bluish button up with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, dark slacks, and black shoes. He balanced his chicken fingers in one hand while grabbing for a chair, turns to me and asks me politely,  "Excuse me. Is it alright if I sit there?" I nodded. He sat and began to inquire about the obvious things. Are you new? What's your name? What's your major? I asked him where the computer lab was. He walked me up a flight of stairs, we traded numbers, and began dating that Friday. We got pregnant in December of '98 with Belle got married in June 19th the following year, and had the baby in September
.
We've seen each other at our best and at our worst. I am so thankful that he is in my life. I'm glad that he is the more analytical of the both of us. It helps him keep me and my dreamy meanderings in check. I believe we compliment each other perfectly. I don't want anyone else in my life but him. I feel stronger and better supported because of him. Who knew that that geeky, comic book loving, animé watching, kenpo styling young man was going to make such an impact in my life and in our children's lives? I'm glad we decided to rushed in. Best decision I ever made.


No comments:

Post a Comment